Pages

Sunday, August 24, 2014

On my new endeavor

Soon I will be taking up my new post as a full-time student in a Swedish folk dance course. I guess I don't have too much more to say on the topic, actually.

I am really super excited.

The culture of the folky world is sort of the opposite of the culture of the academic world. This was an important change I wanted to make for myself, and I seem to have done so to the extreme.

There are many things I'm looking forward to, and also a few things I am nervous about. I hope I can keep it a place where I commit to speaking mostly in Swedish and seldom in English. I haven't had many opportunities to make first-impressions while only speaking Swedish, and I'm curious how I will come across. Mostly I don't want people to think that my bad Swedish skills mean I am unintelligent.

To be honest I hope the course improves both my dance skills and my language skills. I am interested to see which has greater improvement after the year is over.

So that is the new endeavor. I was a physics post-doctoral researcher, and now I'm becoming a Swedish folk dance student. Ta Da.

2 comments:

  1. I totally commented on this on Sunday and it never showed up. :( It was a long comment and I don't think I'll be able to reproduce it. Suffice it to say that I'm excited for you and to hear about your new adventures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops. I guess I meant I commented on the previous post. Anyway...you get the gist.

    ReplyDelete