Pages

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Tortilla Soup

This is my latest culinary success!

Tortilla soup has been one of my favorite recipes for awhile. It is delicious and memory filled. I learned the recipe from Laura, who learned it from her friend Jenny. I think Laura and I even watched the movie while eating the soup once.

_____________________

Jenny's Famous Tortilla Soup

ingredients
3 chicken breasts
celery
carrots
1 onion
4 bullion cubes (or 6 cups of chicken broth in a box)
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp lemon pepper
2 tsp ground cumin
1 lime
2 cans tomatoes with green chilies
monterey jack cheese, grated
tortilla chips
1 avocado


cut raw chicken into bite-size pieces and cook on the stove.  set
aside chicken aside, leaving grease in pan.  chop celery, onions, and
carrots and saute in left-over chicken grease (mmm) and olive oil.
boil 6 cups water (or boil the chicken broth and skip the cubes). add
4 bullion cubes, chili powder, garlic powder, lemon pepper, cumin,
lime juice, and tomatoes w/ green chilies. add chicken and veggies.
simmer all 20 minutes.  crush tortilla chips in bottom of bowl.  add
soup, avocado slices, and cheese.
_____________________

I learned awhile ago that I am just not good at cooking chicken breasts in a way that makes them delicious. I always get paranoid about chicken and end up overcooking it. My solution is to use the leftover chicken from a roasted chicken

But this time, I went one step further. I made my very own chicken stock. And it was awesome. On Sunday I roasted two small chickens (so that we'd have plenty of leftovers of course), and I boiled the two carcasses with an onion, carrot, and celery. The chicken roasting technique uses so much salt, that I didn't even add salt to my stock.

Needless to say, the soup was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment