Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

On solitude


"The monotony and solitude of a quiet life stimulates the creative mind."
― Albert Einstein 


“Who hears music, feels his solitude
Peopled at once.” 
― Robert BrowningThe complete poetical works of Browning

“I have never found a companion that was so companionable as solitude.”
― Henry David ThoreauWalden

“We live, in fact, in a world starved for solitude, silence, and private: and therefore starved for meditation and true friendship.” 
― C.S. LewisThe Weight of Glory


"My solitude, however, is not my own, for I see now how much it belongs to them — and that I have a responsibility for it in their regard, not just in my own…it was as if I suddenly saw the secret beauty of their hearts, the depths of their hearts where neither sin nor desire nor self-knowledge can reach, the core of their reality, the person that each one is in God’s eyes. If only they could all see themselves as they really are….There is no way of telling people that they are all walking around shining like the sun."
― Thomas Merton

No comments:

Post a Comment